Columbia Montour Snyder Union
Counties of Central Pennsylvania
Service System


Mental Health
Developmental Services
Drug & Alcohol
Early Intervention
Crisis / Emergency
Provider Information
Consumer Information
Family/Caregiver/Supports Info
Employment Opportunities
Office Locations
Other Links


Central Susquehanna Valley
Local Interagency Coordinating Council


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What does CMSU stand for? Columbia, Montour, Snyder and Union Counties of Central Pennsylvania.

  2. What is an intake? An intake is a basic assessment of a consumer's need. This is usually performed by a caseworker at the Base Service Unit.

  3. Why do you need my financial information? Consumers who work are required to pay for some services they receive. How much each consumer pays toward the cost of services is based on his/her income and expenses. This is called a liability determination.

  4. What is the difference between CMSU and CSIU? CMSU stands for Columbia, Montour, Snyder and Union Counties whereas CSIU stands for the Central Susquehanna Intermediate Unit.

  5. Is CMSU part of Danville State Hospital? No. CMSU is part of county government. We do, however, work closely with Danville State Hospital when admitting and discharging people from the four-county area. CMSU also rents a building from DSH for its administrative offices.

  6. What is a "Joinder?" CMSU is a cooperative arrangement between the four counties to provide mental health, mental retardation and drug & alcohol services. The joinder is the common term for this arrangement.

  7. Which office should I be calling to make a referral? Referrals for people with mental health and drug & alcohol issues should be made to the Behavioral Health Office at (570) 275-4962 or 1-800-676-4412. Referrals for individuals with mental retardation or autism should be made to the Developmental Supports and Services Office at (570) 275-6080 or 1-800-451-9720 or TTY (570) 275-2327. Referrals for children, birth to 3 years of age, with developmental delays should be made to the Developmental Supports and Services Office at (570) 275-6080.

  8. Will my services start immediately? Mental health and drug & alcohol services will begin following the enrollment. Most services for individuals with mental retardation have a waiting list. You will be informed by the supports coordinator whether there is a waiting list for the service your family member is requesting. When there is a waiting list for the needed service, the supports coordinator will complete a form with you called the PUNS to categorize your family member's need along a continuum of need (emergency, critical, planning) which places your family member on the waiting list for services.



Home | HIPAA | Public Meetings | Contact Us | About Us | Disclaimer